QUESTION: Where can I find a list of reported cases and deaths from Malaria in the USA, 2005-2010? I understand that most cases were acquired outside the US and the remaining were transmitted via blood transfusions. But I can not find a source for the data.
ANSWER: We found statistics for the years 2005-2009. The number of reported cases in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control are:
- U.S. Malaria Cases – 2005: 1,528 (7 fatal)
- U.S. Malaria Cases – 2006: 1,564 (6 fatal)
- U.S. Malaria Cases – 2007: 1,505 (1 fatal)
- U.S. Malaria Cases – 2008: 1,298 (2 fatal)
- U.S. Malaria Cases – 2009: 1,484 (4 fatal)