Biotechnology company Sanaria has announced the launch of a suite of products intended to advance research towards new malaria vaccines, drugs, and diagnostics, and enhanced understanding of malaria pathology and immunobiology.
Sanaria’s mission is to develop and commercialize wholeparasite malaria vaccines that confer high-level, long-lasting protection against malaria caused by Plasmodium falciparum and P. vivax.
In the process of developing these vaccines, Sanaria has developed the capacity to manufacture and assay malaria parasites and mosquitoes in a highly regulated, cGMP compliant, industrial setting.
The company has announced that these parasites, mosquitoes, and assay services are now available to the general research community:
- Sanaria Plasmodium falciparum Sporozoite Reagents: Aseptic, purified, vialed, cryopreserved, attenuated and non-attenuated Plasmodium falciparum (Pf) sporozoites.
- Sanaria PfSPZ Challenge Mosquitoes: Live, aseptic and non-aseptic P. falciparum infected mosquitoes. These well-characterized mosquitoes are for experimentally challenging volunteers in studies assessing malaria vaccines and drugs and for laboratory-based research.
- Sanaria Plasmodium Reagents: Purified, vialed, cryopreserved, attenuated and nonattenuated Plasmodium species sporozoites, as well as other life cycle stages for laboratory-based research studies.
- Sanaria Plasmodium Reagent Slides: Slides for immunofluorescence assays to
detect antibodies against purified sporozoite, and asexual erythrocytic, sexual
erythrocytic and/or mosquito stages of Plasmodium species.
- Sanaria Anopheles Reagents: Aseptic and non-aseptic Anopheles stephensi
mosquitoes and derived material for laboratory-based research studies.
- Sanaria Plasmodium Assay Services: Assessment of the effects of antibodies and
drugs on the capacity of P. falciparum and P. vivax sporozoites to invade and develop in
hepatocytes (inhibition of sporozoite invasion and inhibition of liver stage development
assay), and of P. falciparum gametocytes to develop to oocysts and sporozoites in
mosquitoes (transmission blocking assay). Assessment of antibodies to all life cycle
stages of Plasmodium species by immunofluoresence assays and to selected antigens
- Monoclonal Antibodies: Sporozoite, liver, and blood stage monoclonal antibodies.
- Sanaria Custom Services: Sanaria will manufacture Plasmodium species reagents to
meet client specifications.